Partner | Mergers and Acquisitions, Restructuring & Insolvency, Private Credit
- T: +91 120 479 1000
- E: Write to me
- LL.M., University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia (2007)
- Wharton Cert. Degree on Business and Public Policy, University of Pennsylvania (2007)
- B.A., LL.B., (Hons.), National Law School of India University, Bangalore (2005)
Ashwin is a Partner in the Delhi office. Prior to joining the Firm Ashwin worked at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom LLP for 4 (four) years in their New York and London offices.
He is a leading lawyer in the field of corporate laws including M&A, corporate insolvency and restructuring with more than 15 years of experience. He routinely advises on the most complex such transactions. In recent times he advised RMG in connection with its unique US$ 8 billion ReNew Power De-SPAC transaction and CarVal in connection with its turnaround investment in distressed steel companies Uttam Galva Metallics and Uttam Value Steel.
He has been at the forefront of India’s new bankruptcy law, including advising on its evolution and its application across a significant number of the first few corporate rescues and distressed M&A situations.
- Bar Council of Delhi
- New York Bar Association, U.S. (formerly)
- Registered Insolvency Professional under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016
Recognition and Accomplishments
- Recognised as one of the Top 20 “Emerging Leaders” in India by the international renowned RSG Consulting.
- Recognised by Legal 500 as a recommended practitioner in the field of corporate restructuring in 2021.
- His clients have this to say about him (Source: IFLR 1000)
“Excellent knowledge base and understanding. Excellent ability to find practical and workable solutions …...”
- " Shows vision for the future through his policy research. Optimistic when faced with challenges. Creates a nurturing environment for his team. ......Believes in showing humility by focusing on actions rather than words - RSG Consulting India Report
- “Very solution-oriented bringing together persons with competing objectives to get across the line. Uses international experience to draw parallels that innovatively work in India. Ashwin is one of the few lawyers in India who focus on diligence to get the work done.”
Ashwin Bishnoi has represented and advised the following clients
ReNew Power Private Limited
Advising blank cheque company RMG Acquisition Corp II in connection with its US$ 8 billion De SPAC transaction for ReNew Power Private Limited involving marque investors such as Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, BlackRock, BNP Paribas Energy Transition Fund, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, Mr. Chamath Palihapitiya, Goldman Sachs, JERA Co., Inc., Sylebra Capital, TT International Asset Management Ltd, TT Environmental Solutions Fund and Zimmer Partners
Advised on its US$275 million acquisition and funding of Uttam Galva Metallics Limited and Uttam Value Steels Limited under India’s new bankruptcy code, including by way of subscribing to INR denominated high yield bonds
Advised on distress acquisition of Crompton Greaves’ consumer electrical business from Avantha Holdings Limited, together with Advent International Limited, for which consideration was paid in advance and the advance was secured by assets of the seller.
Advised in connection with bilateral Masala Bond subscription to debt-fund its Indian joint venture SIS Prosegur.
CX Partners, Olympus Capital, Blackrock, Samena Capital
Advised in relation to the issuance of listed, rated, non-convertible debentures of an aggregate principal amount of INR 400 Cr by Nspira Management Services Private Limited.
Jindal Steel & Power Limited
Advised Jindal Steel & Power Limited in connection with the restructuring of its off-shore indebtedness of aggregate principal amount of USD 1 billion.
Reputed paper manufacturing company
Advised in connection with dealings with the Joint Lender’s Forum under the Framework for Revitalizing Distressed Assets in the Economy announced by the Reserve Bank of India.
Avantha Holdings Limited
Advised in connection with issuance of market linked, principal protected, secured, listed non-convertible debentures issued to Apollo Global Management on a private placement basis, for an aggregate amount of up to USD 150 million where the use of proceeds was the refinancing of existing debt.
Nokia Siemens Networks
Advised in connection with attempted acquisition of the North American and European CDMA and LTE assets of Nortel Networks by way of a Section 363 (under US Bankruptcy Code) auction. The transaction was valued at USD 1.2 billion.
Article14 Jan '21
Ergo09 Apr '20
Ergo Update03 Mar '20
Article13 Dec '19
Article13 Aug '19
Corporate and Commercial, Mergers and Acquisitions, Estate Planning, Trusts and Private Client
Partner, New Delhi
Corporate and Commercial, Mergers and Acquisitions, Private Equity
Partner, New Delhi
Banking and Finance, Restructuring & Insolvency, Corporate and Commercial