Rabindra Jhunjhunwala is a Partner and a senior member in the Corporate & Commercial Practice Group in the Mumbai office. He started with the Firm in its Kolkata office in 1990 and co-founded the Mumbai office in 2001.
Rabindra heads the Firm's IBA, France desk and Germany desk initiatives. He also sits as an officer on the IBA Corporate and M&A Committee. He has been appointed Counselor to the President, Union Internationale des Avocats. He is a Patron member of The Bar Association of India.
His practice spans a range of areas, including domestic and cross border M&A, PE investment, transaction documentation work and advises his clients regularly on all aspects of foreign investments (both inbound and outbound) and regulatory approvals. He has advised several multinationals and Indian companies on complex and big-ticket M&A transactions.
- Bar Council of Maharashtra & Goa
- Bar Association, Calcutta High Court
- Incorporated Law Society, Calcutta High Court
- High Court Club, Calcutta High Court
- The Trade Mark Registry and The Patent Office, India
- International Bar Association International Law Association, London
Recognition and Accomplishments
- Recommended Lawyer in Who’s Who Legal (WWL) M&A Governance Global Guide 2020.
- Featured in Top 50 Indian Lawyers 2020 under Asian Legal Business (ALB) India Super 50 Lawyers 2020.
- Recommended lawyer 2019 for Corporate in the RSG India Report 2019 and established second generation of Indian Lawyers in the RSG India report 2010 by RSG Consulting.
- Endorsed as a Leading Lawyer in India - Highly regarded by IFLR1000.
- India Business Law Journal lists him as one of the Leading lawyers in The A list of India’s top 100 lawyers.
- Ranked by Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific for Corporate/M&A work.
Rabindra Jhunjhunwala has represented and advised the following clients
Advised on the Indian law aspects in relation to execution of a purchase agreement to acquire majority stake in OptoTech Optichmaschinen GmbH, a company incorporated in Germany (Target).
Kalzip Group (part of Tata Steel Europe)
Advised on the Indian law aspects in relation to its acquisition by Donges SteelTec (a subsidiary of German Mutares Group) including acquisition of its India subsidiary, Kalzip India Private Limited.
Advised in relation to acquisition of Gfk group’s custom research business in India. The acquisition was part of the acquisition of 4 global divisions of GfK’s custom research by Ipsos in 26 countries for an enterprise value of Euro 105 million.
Jiangsu Jinsheng Industry Co., Ltd. (“Jinsheng”), China
Advised on the Indian leg of the transaction in relation to its acquisition of the natural fibres and textile components business units from the textile segment of Oerlikon Corporation AG, Switzerland structured in the form of asset and share purchase deals for a total consideration of 500 million Swiss Francs.
Mayne Pharmaceuticals, Australia
Advised on a joint venture with Zydus Cadila for manufacture of injectable cytotoxic products.
The Blackstone Group
Advised on investment in Gateway Rail Freight Ltd. - subsidiary of Gateway Distriparks Ltd. (listed entity).
Advised in relation to the Indian leg on its acquisition of Bilcare Global Clinical Supplies from Bilcare Limited, an Indian company listed on the BSE for approximately USD 61 million.
Hutchinson Telecommunications International Limited
Advised on sale of stake in Hutch–Essar to Vodafone, plc, with a deal value of USD 11.1 billion.
Total SA., France
Advised on sale of businesses of coatings resins of Cray Valley (Europe, Asia, South Africa) and Cook Composite Polymers (United States), as well as the photocure resins of Sartomer (Europe, United States, Asia) to Arkema S.A., France, with a deal value of USD 720 million.
Article03 Jul '23
Publications30 Jan '23
Article29 Apr '22
Article29 Apr '22
Article21 Mar '22
Article18 Jul '21
Corporate Restructuring, Mergers and Acquisitions, Corporate and Commercial
Counsel, New Delhi
Corporate and Commercial, Banking and Finance, Restructuring and Insolvency